Monday, October 18, 2010

Ryan Howard at the Eagles Game: Good or Bad Idea?


I’m a huge Philadelphia fan and I loved watching football and baseball on Sunday. I’m more of an Eagles fan than a Phillies fan though. I’ve been listening to sports radio out of Philadelphia all day long and people have been calling in to say how upset they were to see Ryan Howard at the Eagles game. I thought it was a great sight to see and it definitely showed the Philly’s support for one another.

On the other side of the argument, Ryan Howard should have been using that time to mentally prepare for the big game. He’s been criticized for having a bad batting average since the post season, and many people are pointing this out as an example. People even joke around that he was flirting with the cheerleaders.

Regardless of the situation this is a relevant topic. What is more effective for the organization? Let’s say you have a very important meeting with a prospective client at the end of the workday. Your partner shows up after a great weekend of watching sports all weekend and hasn’t even looked into the meeting at all. On the other hand, you’ve done your homework and spent all your waking hours putting together a sales pitch. Which way is the better approach? It’s a fun argument and there is no right or wrong answer? Ryan Howard is a key player in the Phillies team and who says he can’t spend his time off cheering for his favorite football team. The excitement from the game could have been the difference between winning or losing on Sunday night. Let me know your thoughts!

1 comment:

  1. I believe that from the fans point of view this is a major issue of not being prepared and taking an important game in this situation into consideration. I kind of put two of your recent blogs together, thinking in 2 secs. and preparing for work. If Ryan Howard would have thought about "all" the positive and negatives in his decision to attend the Eagles game, he may have not went to the game out of avoidance of scrutiny from the fans. This may have resulted in the difference between a win or lose from the Phillies as you stated. He could have saw them as inspiration and got pumped. Wanting to keep the spirit of the Philly fans up. I think he is able to do what he wants that is harmless to others, and best helps "him" get prepared and ready for a game. Everyone is different in their work patterns and routines that make them effective.

    ReplyDelete